Monday, August 30, 2010

Project beginnings

Today, August 30, 2010, was the 4th day of school for the students in the Littlestown Area School District. It was also they day that the 16 inclusion class students I work with in 5th grade logged onto their new Edmodo and Quiz Star accounts. . I set up their accounts so that they have the same user names and passwords for both Edmodo and Quiz Star. Their passwords are the same series of digits they use for their lunch accounts.
The students played around with Edmodo checking it out and changing their profile pictures. They viewed a power point through a link to a wiki. They took a just for the fun of it quiz in Quiz Star. They also took a Google Docs quiz. All the links they needed were on their Edmodo pages.
Our objective for today was to get acquainted with the tools. It was our first trip to the computer lab and I was quite impressed with their effort as they successfully followed directions and completed each task.

5 comments:

  1. The next day, one of my students came to me and told me he clicked on the Animoto link in Edmodo and made a slide show! I was very impressed. He said he had tried a couple of things but couldn't get it on Edmodo. I showed him how to embed his slide show. The other students were motivated by seeing what he did. I told him he can help me teach the other students how to use Animoto. The kids are so excited they want to stay in at recess to use the computers (probably mostly to play games, but that's ok).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting! I am glad to see you have gotten things underway so quickly. A lot of folks use the ready, aim, fire practice and spend so much time aiming that they never fire. I, on the other hand, often use the ready, fire, aim tactic. I might not fully fire things up so that I can more easily adjust my aim. I would rather get things going and adjust than not get things going at all!

    Be sure to share a project with us here - just embed it so we can see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot figure out how to embed on blogger.com. Is that because I just have the free basic service? I decided I could at least do a screen capture using the Diigo tool bar and found that I can no longer do that with the free toolbar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To embed here, I usually switch the view from the visual viewer to the one where you see all the coding and then I pasted the embed code in and save.

    I was quite taken by surprise by the switch in Diigo. I totally understand the need for a revenue source though. Be sure you get mwsnap for taking screenshots. It's quick and easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am very impressed with your students computer skills! It takes our 1st grade classes 10 minutes to log on, because our computers have been sooooooo slow. Then they have to find their numbers to punch in for both their user names and passwords. It is a nightmare!!

    ReplyDelete