Saturday, October 30, 2010

Final activity

My biggest a-ha moment was seeing the final project; all of the tools that were used actually coming together, and working!!! My student and myself were so proud of what we accomplished together. It was so awesome to have his parents support as well; we had an open line of communication which was nice. I also shared our project last Wednesday evening at our Title 1 parent night. It was basically to share what our lessons actually look like.

I do feel that public education doesn't have to be just books and lessons. There is room for digital tools that can be used to enhance instruction. It allowed my student to actually hear our he sounds when he reads, rather than me just asking, "how did that sound?" And, he got to see how he reads and how he monitors his reading. It also provided his parents with the lingo used in our classroom, so that they can use the same lingo at home when they read with him.

I shared this project with quite a few of my colleagues, including all of the reading teachers and coaches. They thought it was a great idea, however, I'm not sure if they are going to go the length I did... I was very pleased to see quite a few of my colleagues have branched out and took tech classes this summer. Many have implemented wikis and have used Glogster to spice them up. But, these teachers are also young. The older teachers, well, still need quite a bit of convincing that technology can and should be used in the classroom.

Overall, I was happy with my project and with the class!

No comments:

Post a Comment