Saturday, October 23, 2010

The End

I learned so much from implementing this project into my classroom. Collaborating with a colleague on this was very meaningful for me and allowed me to make many more connections and I felt that my partner helped me to realize a lot of things about myself. I learned that I need to teach myself how to do more rather than just waiting for someone to teach me. I also learned that the curriculum that we are teaching the students doesn't always need to be taught and then technology comes after. Technology can provide a means for learning and replace the traditional way of teaching a lesson.

I think public education needs a shift in thinking (just as I do and am working on). Not only are can students learn the curriculum they can take that knowledge and make meaningful connections by having experiences that are not limited to sitting in a desk and reading out of a book. The teacher doesn't always need to be in the front of the room spitting out information. How great is it that students can DISCOVER information and COLLABORATE with each other.

This course has affected me greatly. Over the summer we were exposed to MANY, MANY new tools that are literally at my fingertips through the internet. I am so grateful that I am aware that these tools are out there. A big part of my problem was awareness. I feel that I have impacted a fellow 2nd grade teacher. This teacher was my mentor during my first year at CTE. I started to share the things that I was learning at the beginning of this school year and I think that his interest has grown. He is taking baby steps and I can tell that he is more open-minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment